Monday, March 22, 2010

Newsletter 2


NEWSLETTER 2 March 2009

Highlights in Feb & March 09

We thank the Lord for the beautiful children that attend our centre everyday! There is a real Spirit of joy at the centre and the children are excited to learn and play.

Birthdays are special occasions and celebrated with cake, games and lots of laughter. A special suprise party was held for Melanie on the 27th.

The children participated by citing poems, singing and dancing.

The afterschool children went on a day trip to the SS Skhosana campsite in Kwandebele. It was a first for many of them and they loved the drive down, seeing baboons and buffalo on the way.

16 Adults registered for the Adult Literacy Program. It runs from 5.30pm to 7.30pm Mondays to Thursdays.

Thank you Thoko, Joseph, Bongani, Eric and others who worked so hard in the vegetable garden. It has been transformed and soon the children will be eating “home-grown” vegetables.

From the heart of our pre-school teacher Betty:

We thank the caregivers and the parents of the children for getting the children ready on time at the pick-up points every day. The children have so much fun and are progressing in leaps and bounds.


From the hearts of three after-schoolers:

“”I feel very much happy when I am here because I have learned many things that I never knew before. Since I was born I did not attend Sunday School, but here I attend. Difficult things like homeworks are now very easy. On my side - I am proud of it. (AS1)

“At the centre I feel good and nice because they help us with homework. I can make myself confident and can even stand in front of other learners. I feel more good because we do sports activities, drama, dancing and so on. They teach us the Bible and now I can open all the Bible. I can pray and do not lie anymore and feel the names of God in my heart. Thanks to all at the Centre” (AS2)

“It is really ubuhle (beautiful). I thank God because we were in the dark side of the world, but He chose to send angels in Vlakfontein. I love the Centre.” (AS3)

From the heart of a volunteer :

From the very first day I liked everything about the centre. The children enjoy every minute at the centre because they do not have to struggle on their own anymore, but are now helped with their homework.

What challenges me most is that many of the children struggle to read and write Zulu and English well.

The other challenge is that we battle to help the children with their homework because they do not have textbooks that we can refer to, when they come for help with their assignments.

Some of the kids don’t have stationery and school uniforms because their families cannot afford to buy it.

I want the children to be the best they can be and also be proud of me.

I want the beauty in them to shine out and to see them smiling.

I am so proud to see that they are committed to making their future brighter. The Centre provides light for their path to the future.

Thank you to the founders!!

No comments:

Post a Comment